Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bucket Lists on Lists on Lists

Everyone has a list. THE list. The ultimate catalogue of things you'd like to do & places you'd like to go before you 'kick the bucket'

The most incredible thing about a bucket list is that each one is subjective. Lifelong to-do lists outlined like fingerprints in our minds. They're personal- and nothing is more beautiful to me than something personal. Learning about someone is the sexiest thing you can do without taking your clothes off. I'd say most of the time it's even sexier. What you dream of doing during your lifetime illustrates your candid desires... and it's what you actually choose to do that illustrates your passion. 

On the train home tonight, I started writing it all down. Bullet points and arrow signs and pen marks galore. Here's what I came up with so far...

Play a musical instrument (ie violin, ukelele, drums, guitar)
Travel along a mountain range (and climb the highest peak)
Navigate a hot air balloon
Ride on a sleeper train
See Halley's Comet in 2061
Visit an Indian reservation
Learn how to surf (well)
Live on the west coast for a while
See earth from afar
Write a newspaper article
DJ a stellar live set with 100+ people
Sell a piece of artwork
Fly a plane
Be part of a flash mob/improv event
Learn to dance (swing, salsa, jazz, flamenco, hiphop)
Invent something fun and/or useful
Write and deliver a speech (ie TEDtalk)
Become a volunteer firefighter
Go to a multi-day music festival
Finish a triathlon
See the sunset in 2 places in one evening (flight)
Paint an autumn landscape
Visit every continent 
Make a homemade quilt as a future heirloom
Spend time at a Buddhist temple
Reach Nirvana
See the Aurora Borealis
Film a documentary (about people and/or music)
Learn how to build a fire from scratch
Cook for a restaurant that has 4/5 stars on yelp 
Graffiti something amazing, somewhere unexpected
Paint a city mural that people see everyday
Be the principal of a public school
Skydive, paraglide, bungee jump
Build a treehouse
Build a home (or multiple, including my own)
Design, construct, and fill a floor-to-ceiling library
Meet someone from every country
Save lives

In school I remember learning that the US Constitution is a "living breathing document". I like to think that applies to every bucket list too. I've written this out for myself more times than I can remember, and it's always a bit different. Some of the things I thought to put down I've already accomplished (ie getting a poem published, having art displayed in a museum, going to Europe, getting a tattoo), and others were entirely new to my eyes. It feels good to see it all. 

Next step- start mapping out how to make it happen. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not so great with bucket lists because I usually forget what I want to do (lol). My number one item (if I had to rank) was crossed off in 2010 when I visited the Hagia Sophia, what I believe to be the most beautiful building in the world.

    If I had to think of other things I absolutely want to do someday, I think attending an Olympic ceremony would be one. I'd love to be in a huge crowd where we might not understand each other but the message of unity is all the same.

    I suppose another goal is to be good enough to compete in a triathlon. I'm doing a sprint in September, but I'd love to say that one day I actually swam, biked, and ran a full triathlon whose proceeds went to help a charity. It'd be a win-win for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of something else I want to do! I want to be in the audience for an infomercial shoot, preferably for one where they make food. I love infomercials they're my guilty pleasure! I don't want to buy anything though haha.

    ReplyDelete